From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can not mount USB stick as user
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 21:38:39
1 On Wed, Feb 05 2014, Joseph wrote:
2
3 > Thank you for correction. You are correct I would need to switch to
4 > new systemd.
5 > I think for now I'll go back to udev as I'm afraid something might not
6 > work after switching :-/
7
8 Two comments.
9
10 1. Canek is *very* helpful on systemd issues.
11
12 2. If you have /usr on the same filesystem as /, then switching to
13 systemd is really not hard
14
15 A. Set some kernel options (see the gentoo wiki).
16
17 B. Set some use flags.
18 i. At least -consolekit and systemd
19 ii. This might be automatic if you use a systemd subprofile
20 For example I use default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd
21
22 C. Do a world update.
23
24 Once I merged / and /usr and did the above, systemd more or less worked
25 right away. I did tweak it some later, but was able to read/send mail
26 and use gnucash for my checking account on day 1. Note that I picked a
27 conversion day when I knew canek would be available.
28
29 If /usr is split from /, I believe Canek can guide you through.
30 However, I have no experience with that (initramfs) so can't give a
31 testimonial.
32
33 In any event the wiki https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd is helpful.
34 For one thing it would have pointed out the need to tell the kernel
35 to use systemd as init (the wiki has both grub and grub invocations).
36
37 Good luck!
38 allan