From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can not mount USB stick as user
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 19:54:56
1 On 02/05/14 13:06, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 >On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >[ humongous snip ]
5 >
6 >>> 4. Using systemd is more than just emerging it; you need to change
7 >>> your init= line in grub-legacy or GRUB2 and reboot. The contents of
8 >>> /proc/1/comm is "systemd"?
9 >>
10 >> I only have this:
11 >> cat /proc/1/comm
12 >> init
13 >
14 >[ snip ]
15 >
16 >> systemctl --all --full
17 >> Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.
18 >>
19 >> loginctl
20 >> Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
21 >
22 >Joseph, you are not running systemd. You have systemd *installed*, but
23 >you are still *running* OpenRC. Therefore, your system is obviously
24 >going to fail, since at least some parts of it believe you are running
25 >systemd when you are not.
26 >
27 >If you use GRUB, you need to change its config file and add the
28 >following to your kernel command line:
29 >
30 >init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
31 >
32 >If you are using GRUB2, change /etc/default/grub and modify
33 >GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX so it has "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd". Then run
34 >grub2-mkconfig again.
35 >
36 >Beware, systemd requires some kernel config options set or it will not
37 >work. For systemd 208, these are:
38 >
39 >AUTOFS4_FS
40 >BLK_DEV_BSG
41 >CGROUPS
42 >DEVTMPFS
43 >DMIID
44 >EPOLL
45 >FANOTIFY
46 >FHANDLE
47 >INOTIFY_USER
48 >IPV6
49 >NET
50 >PROC_FS
51 >SECCOMP
52 >SIGNALFD
53 >SYSFS
54 >TIMERFD
55 >
56 >Also, the following kernel config options should *NOT* be set:
57 >
58 >IDE
59 >SYSFS_DEPRECATED
60 >SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2
61 >GRKERNSEC_PROC
62 >
63 >Lastly, if you have /usr in a different partition from /, you *need*
64 >an initramfs (this is now true also for OpenRC). Please check the
65 >instructions set in:
66 >
67 >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd
68 >
69 >To finish, let me remark that systemd never had problems in your
70 >system. The problem was that you were not running systemd.
71 >
72 >Regards.
73 >--
74 >Canek Peláez Valdés
75 >Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
76 >Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
77
78 Thank you for correction. You are correct I would need to switch to new systemd.
79 I think for now I'll go back to udev as I'm afraid something might not work after switching :-/
82 Joseph