From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can not mount USB stick as user
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 20:03:05
1 On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/05/14 13:06, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> [ humongous snip ]
7 >>
8 >>>> 4. Using systemd is more than just emerging it; you need to change
9 >>>> your init= line in grub-legacy or GRUB2 and reboot. The contents of
10 >>>> /proc/1/comm is "systemd"?
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>> I only have this:
14 >>> cat /proc/1/comm
15 >>> init
18 >> [ snip ]
19 >>
20 >>> systemctl --all --full
21 >>> Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.
22 >>>
23 >>> loginctl
24 >>> Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return
25 >>> code 1
28 >> Joseph, you are not running systemd. You have systemd *installed*, but
29 >> you are still *running* OpenRC. Therefore, your system is obviously
30 >> going to fail, since at least some parts of it believe you are running
31 >> systemd when you are not.
32 >>
33 >> If you use GRUB, you need to change its config file and add the
34 >> following to your kernel command line:
35 >>
36 >> init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
37 >>
38 >> If you are using GRUB2, change /etc/default/grub and modify
39 >> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX so it has "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd". Then run
40 >> grub2-mkconfig again.
41 >>
42 >> Beware, systemd requires some kernel config options set or it will not
43 >> work. For systemd 208, these are:
44 >>
45 >> AUTOFS4_FS
46 >> BLK_DEV_BSG
47 >> CGROUPS
48 >> DEVTMPFS
49 >> DMIID
50 >> EPOLL
51 >> FANOTIFY
52 >> FHANDLE
53 >> INOTIFY_USER
54 >> IPV6
55 >> NET
56 >> PROC_FS
57 >> SECCOMP
58 >> SIGNALFD
59 >> SYSFS
60 >> TIMERFD
61 >>
62 >> Also, the following kernel config options should *NOT* be set:
63 >>
64 >> IDE
65 >> SYSFS_DEPRECATED
66 >> SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2
67 >> GRKERNSEC_PROC
68 >>
69 >> Lastly, if you have /usr in a different partition from /, you *need*
70 >> an initramfs (this is now true also for OpenRC). Please check the
71 >> instructions set in:
72 >>
73 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd
74 >>
75 >> To finish, let me remark that systemd never had problems in your
76 >> system. The problem was that you were not running systemd.
77 >>
78 >> Regards.
79 >> --
80 >> Canek Peláez Valdés
81 >> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
82 >> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
85 > Thank you for correction. You are correct I would need to switch to new
86 > systemd.
87 > I think for now I'll go back to udev as I'm afraid something might not work
88 > after switching :-/
89
90 Why don't you give it a try? You are almost there.
91
92 When booting, edit the grub entry and add
93 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd. If it works, great; otherwise, you
94 reboot and get back to where you were.
95
96 Regards.
97 --
98 Canek Peláez Valdés