From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can not mount USB stick as user
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 20:26:35
1 On 02/05/14 14:02, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 >On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 02/05/14 13:06, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> [ humongous snip ]
8 >>>
9 >>>>> 4. Using systemd is more than just emerging it; you need to change
10 >>>>> your init= line in grub-legacy or GRUB2 and reboot. The contents of
11 >>>>> /proc/1/comm is "systemd"?
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I only have this:
15 >>>> cat /proc/1/comm
16 >>>> init
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >>> [ snip ]
20 >>>
21 >>>> systemctl --all --full
22 >>>> Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.
23 >>>>
24 >>>> loginctl
25 >>>> Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return
26 >>>> code 1
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >>> Joseph, you are not running systemd. You have systemd *installed*, but
30 >>> you are still *running* OpenRC. Therefore, your system is obviously
31 >>> going to fail, since at least some parts of it believe you are running
32 >>> systemd when you are not.
33 >>>
34 >>> If you use GRUB, you need to change its config file and add the
35 >>> following to your kernel command line:
36 >>>
37 >>> init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
38 >>>
39 >>> If you are using GRUB2, change /etc/default/grub and modify
40 >>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX so it has "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd". Then run
41 >>> grub2-mkconfig again.
42 >>>
43 >>> Beware, systemd requires some kernel config options set or it will not
44 >>> work. For systemd 208, these are:
45 >>>
46 >>> AUTOFS4_FS
47 >>> BLK_DEV_BSG
48 >>> CGROUPS
49 >>> DEVTMPFS
50 >>> DMIID
51 >>> EPOLL
52 >>> FANOTIFY
53 >>> FHANDLE
54 >>> INOTIFY_USER
55 >>> IPV6
56 >>> NET
57 >>> PROC_FS
58 >>> SECCOMP
59 >>> SIGNALFD
60 >>> SYSFS
61 >>> TIMERFD
62 >>>
63 >>> Also, the following kernel config options should *NOT* be set:
64 >>>
65 >>> IDE
66 >>> SYSFS_DEPRECATED
67 >>> SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2
68 >>> GRKERNSEC_PROC
69 >>>
70 >>> Lastly, if you have /usr in a different partition from /, you *need*
71 >>> an initramfs (this is now true also for OpenRC). Please check the
72 >>> instructions set in:
73 >>>
74 >>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd
75 >>>
76 >>> To finish, let me remark that systemd never had problems in your
77 >>> system. The problem was that you were not running systemd.
78 >>>
79 >>> Regards.
80 >>> --
81 >>> Canek Peláez Valdés
82 >>> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
83 >>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
86 >> Thank you for correction. You are correct I would need to switch to new
87 >> systemd.
88 >> I think for now I'll go back to udev as I'm afraid something might not work
89 >> after switching :-/
90 >
91 >Why don't you give it a try? You are almost there.
92 >
93 >When booting, edit the grub entry and add
94 >init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd. If it works, great; otherwise, you
95 >reboot and get back to where you were.
96 >
97 >Regards.
98 >--
99 >Canek Peláez Valdés
100 >Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
101 >Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
102
103 I'll give it a try as going back to udev is not easy either :-/
106 Joseph