From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SOLVED: NVMe drive and grub
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 10:12:04
1 On Thursday 7th April 2016 I wrote:
2
3 > I have a new box with an NVMe SSD drive attached to the PCI bus via an
4 > M.2 interface. The drive shows up as /dev/nvme0n1, with partitions
5 > /dev/nvme0n1p1, /dev/nvme0n1p2, ...
6
7 > After following the instructions in the handbook for a UEFI system, I get
8 > as far as a kernel panic. Grub finds the kernel and starts it, but it seems
9 > to be passing a null root device name.
10
11 > Can anyone offer some advice to help me get past this?
12
13 The problem was sys-boot/grub-2.02_beta2-r9, which UEFI never ran.
14
15 The fix was to get rid of grub altogether and instead use sys-boot/gummiboot.
16 Not only was it fully functional, it was a welcome relief not to have to
17 grapple with grub's baroque complexity and to be able to return to the simple
18 booting I remember from years ago.
19
20 I'd spent five long days wrestling with grub, going round in circles and
21 getting nowhere, before I was pointed to gummiboot.
22
23 Let's hope this helps someone else get a new computer booting.
26 Rgds
27 Peter