From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub on a SATA drive
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:14:19
2 > So grub loads abd boots the Linux kernel, but the
3 > kernel can't mount the
4 > root FS on /dev/sda6. So /dev/sda6 doesn't exist for
5 > some reason, which
6 > could be one of:
7 > 1) There is no /dev/sda6 partition
8
9 Huh? I just installed gentoo there.
10
11 > 2) You haven't compiled in support for your SATA
12 > controller in the kernel
13
14 Yes, I wondered about that. Previously in the config
15 options there were NV_SATA (this is an nVidia board)
16 and another for Sil3114(my SATA controller), forget
17 the exact option. That was for my earlier install when
18 I was still operating from the IDE HD and using that
19 to configure the SATA HD. This, present, install is
20 using the latest gentoo.org offering. These options
21 are nowhere to be found in make menuconfig, just a
22 generic-looking SATA_CONFIG(something like that). In
23 fact, when I boot from the install disk and do a lsmod
24 all the appropriate modules have been loaded(except
25 for the audio, which is easy to fix later), even
26 forcedeth, another option that this mobo requires
27 which was in the earlier config options but is now
28 missing. The Panic _does_ occur at about the spot
29 where the boot console is supposed to be finding the
30 drive. Why would they put drivers in the iso but not
31 the sources on the same CD? Weird.
34 > There are two ways of doing SATA on Linux, one is
35 > through the IDE layer,
36 > which is deprecated and I strongly recommend
37 > against, the other is using
38 > libata through the SCSI layer.
39 >
40 > > So I'm at a loss. The grub commands went alright.
41 > > Wouldn't I get an error if one of the commands was
42 > > wrong? Don't know what's meant by "unknown block
43 > > (0,0)". Is it saying it's trying to mount / on
44 > > /dev/sda1? Doesn't make sense.
45 >
46 > That means it has no idea what sda6 is, that there
47 > is no such device.
48 >
49 > HTH,
50 > Chris
51 >
52 > --
53 > Chris Boot
54 > bootc@×××××.net
55 > http://www.bootc.net/
56 > --
57 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
65 Yahoo! Music Unlimited
66 Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.
67 http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
68 --
69 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list