From: Chris Boot <bootc@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub on a SATA drive
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:40:45
1 maxim wexler wrote:
2 > Thanks for your suggestions. Here's where things
3 > stand:
4 >
5 > I did a fresh 2005.1 stage3 install onto the SATA
6 > drive without a hitch. I removed the ide drive, so
7 > there's only one hd.
8 >
9 > In dmesg the drive comes up as /dev/sda
10 > sda1(Macro$haft) sda2(/boot) < sda5(swap) sda6(/)
11 > sda7(home)>
12 >
13 > When I boot w/ the grub floppy I do:
14 >
15 > grub> root (hd0,1)
16 > Fs is ext2, part type 0x83
17 > grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6
18 > [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x120, size 0x1463b31]
19 >
20 > ...so far, so good...
21 >
22 > grub> boot
23 >
24 > and get:
25 >
26 > ...VFS: Cannot open root device "sda6" or unknown
27 > block (0,0)
28 > Please append correct "root" boot option
29 > Kernel Panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
30 > on unknown block (0,0)
31
32 So grub loads abd boots the Linux kernel, but the kernel can't mount the
33 root FS on /dev/sda6. So /dev/sda6 doesn't exist for some reason, which
34 could be one of:
35 1) There is no /dev/sda6 partition
36 2) You haven't compiled in support for your SATA controller in the kernel
37
38 There are two ways of doing SATA on Linux, one is through the IDE layer,
39 which is deprecated and I strongly recommend against, the other is using
40 libata through the SCSI layer.
41
42 > So I'm at a loss. The grub commands went alright.
43 > Wouldn't I get an error if one of the commands was
44 > wrong? Don't know what's meant by "unknown block
45 > (0,0)". Is it saying it's trying to mount / on
46 > /dev/sda1? Doesn't make sense.
47
48 That means it has no idea what sda6 is, that there is no such device.
49
50 HTH,
51 Chris
54 Chris Boot