From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting vanilla kernel 4.1.x
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 13:23:51
1 On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Peter Weilbacher
2 <newsspam@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Dear all,
4 >
5 > after successfully using kernel 4.0.5 (vanilla-sources) for a while, I
6 > upgraded to 4.1.5 last week and 4.1.6 today. I cannot boot either of
7 > them. On the screen I see
8 >
9 > Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
10 > Booting the kernel.
11 >
12 > as the last thing, then it just sits there.
13 >
14 > To upgrade I copy the previously used .config to the new kernel
15 > directory and run genkernel with --no-clean and --menuconfig so that I
16 > get the same config as before -- unless I change something, which in
17 > this case I didn't. (This has worked very nicely since 3.1.x or so).
18 >
19 > Does that ring a bell with someone?
20 > Peter.
23 I am running vanilla-sources 4.1.6, and so far I have not had any
24 trouble booting it.
25
26 Are you able to boot some of your previous kernels? If so, what does
27 your '/boot/grub/grub.cfg' look like?
28 What is the output of 'cat /etc/fstab' and 'ls -1 /boot'?
29
30 If you are not able to boot any of your kernels, if you could get a
31 hold of a Rescue CD or something like that and run the command lines
32 above, that would be helpful.