From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel config for Docker
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 14:11:18
1 On Sunday, 17 May 2020 12:26:02 BST Victor Ivanov wrote:
2 > Andrew makes a good point that, of course, not all options will be
3 > relevant to a particular image or use case. The script is aimed to check
4 > for "full" compatibility. Having some reported as missing is by no means
5 > a deal breaker.
6 >
7 > Re nftables it's a very valid point as well. I too use nftables instead
8 > of iptables and, in general, anything that dares touch my rules I will
9 > either disable the option for it to do so or, if that's not possible,
10 > swiftly eradicate it off my system with vengeance. I'm not a big fan of
11 > how Docker manages netfilter rules so I too tend to disable that from
12 > the config and, as Andrew said, it has been slow at adopting nftables.
13 > It seems Docker is being developed with primary consideration for stable
14 > (read archaic) distributions that have long release cycles.
15
16 Ah. I scent Debian.
17
18 > If you use nftables at all - even via other software such as firewalld,
19 > etc - Docker may or may not like that. Previously, though admitedly
20 > quite a while ago, Docker just loved adding iptables rules in addition
21 > to my nftables rules. Needless to say, that quickly became a mess.
22
23 I've been using shorewall for many years.
24
25 > nftables is _a lot_ easier to manage, even writing rules manually feels
26 > a lot more intuitive. So I think the learning curve (at least in terms
27 > of syntax) tends to be less steep IMO if you decide to go down that road
28 > at some point.
29 >
30 > Anyway, this probably wasn't a post of high contribution value haha
31
32 All grist to the mill - thanks.
35 Regards,
36 Peter.