From: Victor Ivanov <vic.m.ivanov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel config for Docker
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 11:26:15
1 Andrew makes a good point that, of course, not all options will be
2 relevant to a particular image or use case. The script is aimed to check
3 for "full" compatibility. Having some reported as missing is by no means
4 a deal breaker.
5
6 Re nftables it's a very valid point as well. I too use nftables instead
7 of iptables and, in general, anything that dares touch my rules I will
8 either disable the option for it to do so or, if that's not possible,
9 swiftly eradicate it off my system with vengeance. I'm not a big fan of
10 how Docker manages netfilter rules so I too tend to disable that from
11 the config and, as Andrew said, it has been slow at adopting nftables.
12 It seems Docker is being developed with primary consideration for stable
13 (read archaic) distributions that have long release cycles.
14
15 If you use nftables at all - even via other software such as firewalld,
16 etc - Docker may or may not like that. Previously, though admitedly
17 quite a while ago, Docker just loved adding iptables rules in addition
18 to my nftables rules. Needless to say, that quickly became a mess.
19
20 nftables is _a lot_ easier to manage, even writing rules manually feels
21 a lot more intuitive. So I think the learning curve (at least in terms
22 of syntax) tends to be less steep IMO if you decide to go down that road
23 at some point.
24
25 Anyway, this probably wasn't a post of high contribution value haha
26
27 Keep us updated in case you encounter any issues!
28
29 Cheers,
30 Victor
31