From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] NAS suggestions for home user
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 21:50:30
1 I'm in the study phase on some sort of NAS backup system for my home. I'll
2 be building (or buying) a new desktop/server machine in the next few months
3 - my i980 machine doesn't have the right instruction set for running
4 Tensorflow anymore - so I want to figure out backups before I put together
5 the new machine.
6
7 I have about $400 credit at NewEgg and would like to keep my additional
8 costs on the NAS down to about $100-$200. I expect the new machine to
9 probably be 4TB RAID but it would be quite a while before that gets filled
10 up.
11
12 What do I need to be thinking about? Do I need 8TB in the NAS box? Are 2 or
13 4 bay NAS boxes generally RAID? I do backups today about once a week. I do
14 not currently keep any snapshots. I just back up files so over time the
15 backup carries a lot of stuff that I don't need anymore and I have to go
16 clean it up if I run out of space.
17
18 The NAS would be turned off most of the time. If I need to use it I'll just
19 power it up.
20
21 I've been looking at a few software solutions based on another thread here
22 but so far nothing has excited me so recommendations for what makes sense
23 for high reliability home backup is of great interest, especially if it
24 helps me somehow in cleaning up the backups after deleting stuff on my main
25 machine on purpose and therefore not needing it on the backup.
26
27 Thanks in advance for any ideas.
28
29 Cheers,