From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS suggestions for home user
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 22:35:12
1 On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 5:50 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I've been looking at a few software solutions based on another thread here but so far nothing has excited me so recommendations for what makes sense for high reliability home backup is of great interest, especially if it helps me somehow in cleaning up the backups after deleting stuff on my main machine on purpose and therefore not needing it on the backup.
4
5 It is probably going to stretch your budget, but you should look into
6 distributed filesystems like CephFS/MooseFS/LizardFS. The latter two
7 at least should run fine on hardware like a Pi4 if you aren't doing
8 too much IOPS. You could actually run them on as little as a single
9 host, which would probably be cheaper than a commercial NAS though
10 really no better. The big advantages is that you aren't limited by
11 the drive capacity of a single host, and you have redundancy at the
12 host level. That is, you can pull a plug on any host and the whole
13 thing just keeps running.
14
15 Again, I realize this isn't exactly what you asked for. IMO this is
16 the long-term direction storage is trending towards though. I can't
17 vouch for the hardware requirements for Ceph, but that can scale
18 incredibly well and is pretty-much the future. I've heard it isn't so
19 great on just a few hosts though.
22 Rich