From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS suggestions for home user
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 15:56:38
1 On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 3:35 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 5:50 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I've been looking at a few software solutions based on another thread
6 here but so far nothing has excited me so recommendations for what makes
7 sense for high reliability home backup is of great interest, especially if
8 it helps me somehow in cleaning up the backups after deleting stuff on my
9 main machine on purpose and therefore not needing it on the backup.
10 >
11 > It is probably going to stretch your budget, but you should look into
12 > distributed filesystems like CephFS/MooseFS/LizardFS. The latter two
13 > at least should run fine on hardware like a Pi4 if you aren't doing
14 > too much IOPS. You could actually run them on as little as a single
15 > host, which would probably be cheaper than a commercial NAS though
16 > really no better. The big advantages is that you aren't limited by
17 > the drive capacity of a single host, and you have redundancy at the
18 > host level. That is, you can pull a plug on any host and the whole
19 > thing just keeps running.
20 >
21 > Again, I realize this isn't exactly what you asked for. IMO this is
22 > the long-term direction storage is trending towards though. I can't
23 > vouch for the hardware requirements for Ceph, but that can scale
24 > incredibly well and is pretty-much the future. I've heard it isn't so
25 > great on just a few hosts though.
26 >
27 > --
28 > Rich
29
30 Rich,
31 The idea of using a Raspberry Pi hadn't entered my mind. I took
32 a very quick look at CepfFS and immediately felt a bit swamped
33 but I will look into all the file systems and get back to you if that's ok.
34
35 If the new machine just needs a standard backup plan then IOPS
36 should be pretty low. If the backup system is low power then I could
37 just run it Friday afternoons and incremental backups wouldn't be
38 a problem at all.
39
40 Physically I am sort of looking for a stand along chassis, or that's
41 the picture in my head anyway. If I can find a Pi4 in a chassis with
42 power supply and 1-2 drive bays at the right cost that could possibly
43 make sense for home. The other issue going that way is how much
44 time do I spend managing the OS on this backup box? Best answer
45 is zero.
46
47 Thanks for the ideas.
48