From: Ian Bloss <ianlinkcd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NTFS suddenly not mounting
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 02:33:40
1 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NTFS
2
3 Make sure everything is set accordingly
4
5 On Thu, Mar 24, 2016, 12:54 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
6
7 > Hi all,
8 > I did an "emerge -NuD world" last night and when completed, shut
9 > the
10 > machine down. Upon booting today, localmount can't mount ntfs partitions
11 > I use to dual boot Win7. I get an error along the lines of
12 >
13 > Unknown file system 'ntfs'
14 >
15 > This appears during the boot process and also if I do "mount -a" for the
16 > ntfs partitions. This problem during booting causes many things to fail
17 > resulting, eventually, in X/KDE/sddm from firing up and I'm dumped at a
18 > cold, dark, command prompt, instead of a colourful, flashy graphical
19 > login. Dos and Linux mounts are still good.
20 >
21 > In fstab I commented out the mounting of the three partitions in
22 > question, rebooted and everything fires up correctly, with the obvious
23 > of no ntfs access.
24 >
25 > Checking versions, this has just happened and the latest version of
26 > ntfs3g is 2016.2.22. I have rebuilt kernels and ntfs3g multiple times
27 > and still no joy. I downgraded to the second last version, 2015.3.14,
28 > and now everything is good. I can only summise that the latest version
29 > is dodgy.
30 >
31 > Has anyone come across anything similar? I thought I would check
32 > here
33 > before filing a bug.
34 >
35 > Any thoughts greatly appreciated,