From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] NTFS suddenly not mounting
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 16:53:50
1 Hi all,
2 I did an "emerge -NuD world" last night and when completed, shut the
3 machine down. Upon booting today, localmount can't mount ntfs partitions
4 I use to dual boot Win7. I get an error along the lines of
5
6 Unknown file system 'ntfs'
7
8 This appears during the boot process and also if I do "mount -a" for the
9 ntfs partitions. This problem during booting causes many things to fail
10 resulting, eventually, in X/KDE/sddm from firing up and I'm dumped at a
11 cold, dark, command prompt, instead of a colourful, flashy graphical
12 login. Dos and Linux mounts are still good.
13
14 In fstab I commented out the mounting of the three partitions in
15 question, rebooted and everything fires up correctly, with the obvious
16 of no ntfs access.
17
18 Checking versions, this has just happened and the latest version of
19 ntfs3g is 2016.2.22. I have rebuilt kernels and ntfs3g multiple times
20 and still no joy. I downgraded to the second last version, 2015.3.14,
21 and now everything is good. I can only summise that the latest version
22 is dodgy.
23
24 Has anyone come across anything similar? I thought I would check here
25 before filing a bug.
26
27 Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
28