From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange Upgrade Situation
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 05:17:06
1 On Saturday 02 December 2006 05:28, Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to Firefox 2.0. Since then, when I
3 > did an upgrade, I got notified that the emerge wanted to downgrade
4 > Firefox. This was to be expected.
5
6 Not if you configured portage right..
7
8 > I put the line '<www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0' (without the quotes, of
9 > course), in my /etc/portage/package.mask file. Well, that solved the
10 > problem of wanting to downgrade Firefox.
11
12 You shouldn't. You should instead use `emerge --pretend --tree` to find out
13 why it wants to downgrade it. Or did you use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command
14 line to install rather than properly add the keywords
15 in /etc/portage/package.keywords?
16
17 > I did the same with MySQL
18 > because I didn't want to upgrade that either.
19
20 Masking is fine to avoid upgrades.
21
22 > However, after this, when I ran emerge -uDp world, the emerge wanted to
23 > install seamonkey. I don't understand why.
24
25 Did you set the firefox use flag?
26
27 > Any ideas? BTW, if I mask seamonkey, then I get errors regarding any
28 > version of Firefox when I try to do an update.
29
30 Yes, you obviously did something wrong. :) Hopefully the above adresses
31 everything..
34 Bo Andresen