From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 04:49:43
1 Grant wrote:
4 >Thanks Peter. That is quite contrary to what most of the other posts
5 >in this thread are saying. Those are all just rumors and myths?
6 >
7 >- Grant
13 I think we all know it can be done. Governments do it all the time.
14 Data recevery people do it too. Years ago I worked at a computer place
15 and the hard drive crashed. The heads physically pulled up the magnetic
16 media in a couple places. They still got almost 80% of the data back.
17 Funny thing was, they repaired the heads that did all the scratching and
18 got the data with them, so they said anyway.
19
20 I'm sure the NSA, CIA and a few others can get data back off just about
21 anything. It's just a matter of how much money you want to spend and
22 how much time you want to put into it.
23
24 Now to get some sleep. I got to go see my lady tomorrow. This one is
25 getting serious. Cute too. :D
26
27 Dale
28 :-)
32 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
33
34 I have four rigs:
35
36 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
37 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
38 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
39 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
40
41 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list