From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:44:24
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Grant wrote:
5 >>Thanks Peter. That is quite contrary to what most of the other posts
6 >>in this thread are saying. Those are all just rumors and myths?
7 >>
8 >>- Grant
14 > I think we all know it can be done.
15
16 No, we don't.
17
18 > Governments do it all the time.
19 > Data recevery people do it too.
20
21 Do they? Why don't they advertise this?
22
23 > Years ago I worked at a computer place
24 > and the hard drive crashed. The heads physically pulled up the magnetic
25 > media in a couple places. They still got almost 80% of the data back.
26
27 AGAIN: That's a died hard disk. That's *COMPLETELY* different
28 matter. And if you read what he wrote, you'll find that he
29 also said that recovering data from died hardware is possible.
30
31 > I'm sure the NSA, CIA and a few others can get data back off just about
32 > anything. It's just a matter of how much money you want to spend and
33 > how much time you want to put into it.
34
35 Interesting point, though - if your data is worth just a
36 few thousand bucks, than it will most of the time not make
37 sense to waste the money on it.
40 Alexander Skwar
41 --
42 I owe the government $3400 in taxes. So I sent them two hammers and a
43 toilet seat.
44 -- Michael McShane
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list