From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Asking dhcp for a static address
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 20:24:43
1 On 6 Jan 2006, at 17:33, Peter wrote:
2 > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:34:07 +0100, Sergio Polini wrote:
3 >>
4 >> (i.e., my gateway address, which is different ;-) to /etc/
5 >> resolv.conf? My
6 >> resolv.conf after a dhcp connession is:
7 >>
8 >> domain fastwebnet.it
9 >> nameserver 213.156.54.80
10 >> nameserver 213.156.54.81
11 >>
12 >> (Fastweb is my provider).
13 >>
14 >> What should my resolv.conf look like? Thanks.
15 >> Sergio
16 >
17 > So, you do NOT have a router? Then keep dhcp. If your ISP has
18 > assigned you
19 > a static IP, then you should ask them for specifics. Most do not
20 > assign
21 > static IP though.
22
23 If it's the ISP issuing a static IP then he won't need to (use the -s
24 flag) to ask for it. They'll issue it to him if he uses a standard
25 DHCP request to ask for just any old IP. DHCP servers can be
26 configured to always issue the same IP to a given MAC address and
27 ADSL ISPs in the UK issue static IPs via DHCP according to PPP
28 authentication info. There's surely no need for him to specify it.
29
30 Stroller.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list