From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] videos that won't go away.
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 22:05:36
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I noticed something weird but I'm not sure what to even search for to
4 get a fix. When I play a video with Seamonkey or Firefox, then close
5 the tab or close the browser, the video is still there. If the video
6 contains text, it is really noticeable. It's like a freeze frame of
7 what ever was there when I closed the tab or browser. It does this in
8 both Seamonkey and Firefox. The video affects my desktop wallpaper or
9 background, Konsole, Kpatience, and any other program I have open. It
10 is weird. Some programs like Konsole, which is running as root, just
11 sort of distort in some weird way. The only way to correct this
12 weirdness is to log out of KDE and back in. That returns everything
13 back to normal. Closing the app I was using to play the video does not
14 work.
15
16 If I use Firefox and download helper to capture the video and save it, I
17 can play the video with Smplayer with no ill effects. It plays and
18 closes just fine. It's just when I use Seamonkey or Firefox that this
19 happens.
20
21 I have upgraded the kernel and had upgrades to both Seamonkey and
22 Firefox. I have recompiled the nvidia drivers as well. The nvidia
23 drivers, kernel and other info is here:
24
25 root@fireball / # equery list seamonkey
26 [ Searching for package 'seamonkey' in all categories among: ]
27 * installed packages
28 [I--] [ ] www-client/seamonkey-2.0.14 (0)
29 root@fireball / # equery list firefox
30 [ Searching for package 'firefox' in all categories among: ]
31 * installed packages
32 [I--] [ ] www-client/firefox-3.6.17 (0)
33 root@fireball / # equery list nvidia
34 [ Searching for package 'nvidia' in all categories among: ]
35 * installed packages
36 [I--] [ ] media-video/nvidia-settings-260.19.29 (0)
37 [I--] [ ~] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.44 (0)
38 root@fireball / # equery list xorg
39 [ Searching for package 'xorg' in all categories among: ]
40 * installed packages
41 [I--] [ ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.9 (0)
42 [I--] [ ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.5 (0)
43 root@fireball / # uname -r
44 2.6.38-gentoo-r3
45 root@fireball / #
46
47 I have not tried a emerge -e world yet. I may do that when KDE 4.6.3 is
48 released.
49
50 Does anyone have any clue as to what could cause this? If you need more
51 info, let me know.
52
53 Thanks.
54