From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:17:38
1 On Saturday 23 December 2006 08:44, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?':
3 > On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:47:04 +0100, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
4 > > > Maybe, but they do provide an extremely useful fallback, especially
5 > > > for those of us running ~arch systems. Being able to roll back to an
6 > > > older, working version in seconds rather than minutes or hours is a
7 > > > definite benefit.
8 > > And in addition to that they only require a working tar and bash
9 > > (which could be run from a livecd) to roll back.
10 > Oh yes, I've been there when a broken glibc update stopped the computer
11 > booting.
12
13 I've broken multiple packages including glibc (multiple times), but was
14 able to recover via busybox (which has a shell and tar built-in).
15
16 /me hugs his Gentoo.
19 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
20 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
21 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
22 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh