From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone got any older Portage snapshots kicking around?
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 14:13:56
1 On 16 July 2011, at 19:11, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 07/16/2011 12:53 PM, Stroller wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I have no illusions that attempting this *will* be a pain the ass,
5 >> because in the past I've updated machines which have been ignored for
6 >> 18 months, and that required lots of manually digging in the Portage
7 >> CVS attic and copying files into the local overlay by hand.
10 > Couldn't you just extract a stage3/snapshot in the root, and then emerge
11 > -e world? I haven't tried it naturally, but it sounds like a good idea
12 > to me at this moment.
13
14 I guess it may be irrational of me, but I'd really rather not do this because I fear architecture issues with the binaries. I mean, I guess that generic PPC64 binaries should work, and that's what I'll actually end up compiling myself, but I'd still be happier with ones that have been *built* on (or specifically for) a cell.
15
16 Stroller.