From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 02:59:52
1 On Sep 11, 2012 6:40 AM, "Paul Hartman" <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Chris Stankevitz
5 > <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Gentoo is the best distribution I have used (I haven't used too many:
7 > > ubuntu, fedora, gentoo). I love the USE flags. I love watching (and
8 > > questioning) what is going to be installed. I love emerge.
9 > > Supposedly gentoo lacks being able to have a system "just work"
10 > > without thinking about anything. But in my experience on linux, this
11 > > simply isn't the case anywhere. With ubuntu, for example, I had
12 > > trouble with sound and ethernet cards that I could never figure out...
13 > > and the kind of answers I get on their forums drive me insane ("my
14 > > uncle once said that his cousin typed this magical command and it
15 > > worked fine for a little while so maybe try that").
16 >
17 > That's how I felt, too, in 2003 or 2004 when I first installed Gentoo,
18 > and I've been using it ever since and still feel the same way. I've
19 > tried other distros but Gentoo feels the most natural to me. I'm okay
20 > with more responsibility in exchange for more control over my system.
21 >
22 > Yeah, sometimes it makes you think about what you're doing more than
23 > some other distros, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Thinking is
24 > fun.
27 This thread reminds me of a page I've posted here quite some times ago:
28
29 http://mark.orbum.net/2011/11/15/the-pan-pipes-of-gentoo-linux-always-at-the-source/
30
31 I can't put it better than that guy. Although he finally settled for
32 a-linux-distro-named-after-a-headwear, he still longs to be with The Source.
33
34 "The Source, Luke! Use The Source!"
35
36 Rgds,