From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] for the speakup users on the list
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 16:26:56
1 On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 8:14 AM Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Has the links browser crashed other computers when used with speakup? If
4 > it turns out I'm not unique maybe a safer browser choice ought to go on
5 > the next minimal iso.
9 To start, as you mention speakup, if you are yourself blind I acknowledge
10 at the outset my suggestions below may not be the most practical.
11
12 I'd start by doing everything I could to ensure the underlying motherboard
13 and memory are stable:
14
15 1) Disconnect all external devices other than your keyboard
16 2) Disconnect all internal drives other than the one you need to install to
17 3) Remove all memory except for 1 stick
18 4) If the machine has a motherboard VGA AND you have a card-based
19 GPU then remove that card
20 5) Leave wired ethernet connected if the machine and your network
21 support it.
22
23 At that point run memtest86 from USB or a DVD. If it's stable then
24 start adding back memory. Double check that all memory is the
25 same spec. I bought a used MB recently with 6 sticks but 2 of them
26 weren't the same as the other 4.
27
28 If all of that works I'd install some very light distro - probably
29 Ubuntu Server but you're free to choose - with the goal to
30 get a Linux kernel running. At that point I'm probably going to
31 install something like btop and watch temperatures.
32
33 If all that worked then you've made forward progress. If it
34 doesn't you've also made forward progress.
35
36 Good luck,
37 Mark