From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] ogg/mp3 volume
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 01:09:57
1 On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM, <ny6p01@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 06:01:27PM +0100, Stroller wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 20 May 2012, at 10:41, Jes?s J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
5 >> > ...
6 >> > Specially for bands like led zeppelin, I would just use the second method (adjust while playing, rather than while ripping). Someday you will want to hear the whole disk as it was intended, ?
7 >>
8 >> I agree that adjust-whilst-playing is the best method, but we won't be hearing this music as intended for a while.
9 >>
10 >> All digital Led Zep releases (i.e. including all CDs) are notoriously poorly remastered, with excessive gain applied.
11 >>
12 >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
13 >>
14 >> So far they have deteriorated with each remastering / re-release.
15 >>
16 >> Huge threads on the Steve Hoffman forums discussing this, if you want to cork sniff.
17 >>
18 >> Stroller.
19 >
20 > I can attest to this - Led Zep II - awful. An older disk, not even a
21 > remaster.  I can only play it at moderate levels - it loses all it's dynamic
22 > range at higher levels.  A big disappointment.
23
24 Dipping only slightly further offtopic, are they still pressing vinyl?
25 I believe there are a number of tools for automatically splitting and
26 transcoding audio input from a vinyl player.
30 :wq