From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] ogg/mp3 volume
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 15:28:54
1 On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Dipping only slightly further offtopic, are they still pressing vinyl?
3
4 Sales of vinyl LPs have actually gone up for the past 6 years, selling
5 3.5 million new LPs last year, according to Nielsen SoundScan which is
6 the organization that tracks music sales/downloads in stores and
7 online. Meanwhile, sales of CDs have declined since their peak in
8 2001.
9
10 > I believe there are a number of tools for automatically splitting and
11 > transcoding audio input from a vinyl player.
12
13 When I digitize vinyl or cassettes, I record the whole thing to a
14 single WAV file in Audacity. My turntable and cassette deck are hooked
15 up to my home stereo system, and the output from that is fed into my
16 line on on my PC. I try to adjust the input level manually to get as
17 loud as possible with no clipping, basically. I will run normalize on
18 the whole WAV afterward to see how close I was and listen to the
19 before and after to choose which one sounds better. I then use
20 wavbreaker to split it up into separate tracks. The process works well
21 for me.