From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: TCP Queuing problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 19:53:07
1 >>>>>>> My web server's response time for http requests skyrockets every
2 >>>>>>> weekday between about 9am and 5pm. I've gone over my munin
3 >>graphs
4 >>>>and
5 >>>>>>> the only one that really correlates well with the slowdown is
6 >>"TCP
7 >>>>>>> Queuing". It looks like I normally have about 400 packets per
8 >>>>second
9 >>>>>>> graphed as "direct copy from queue" in munin throughout the day,
10 >>>>but 2
11 >>>>>>> to 3.5 times that many are periodically graphed during work
12 >>hours.
13 >>>>I
14 >>>>>>> don't see the same pattern at all from the graph of all traffic
15 >>on
16 >>>>my
17 >>>>>>> network interface which actually peaks over the weekend. TCP
18 >>>>Queuing
19 >>>>>>> doesn't rise above 400 packets per second all weekend. This is
20 >>>>>>> consistent week after week.
21 >>>>>>>
22 >>>>>>> My two employees come into work during the hours in question, and
23 >>>>they
24 >>>>>>> certainly make frequent requests of the web server while at work,
25 >>>>but
26 >>>>>>> if their volume of requests were the cause of the problem then
27 >>that
28 >>>>>>> would be reflected in the graph of web server requests but it is
29 >>>>not.
30 >>>>>>> I do run a small MTU on the systems at work due to the config of
31 >>>>the
32 >>>>>>> modem/router we have there.
33 >>>>>>>
34 >>>>>>> Is this a recognizable problem to anyone?
35 >>>>>>
36 >>>>>>
37 >>>>>> I'm in the midst of this. Are there certain attacks I should
38 >>check
39 >>>>for?
40 >>>>>
41 >>>>>
42 >>>>> It looks like the TCP Queuing spike itself was due to imapproxy
43 >>which
44 >>>>> I've now disabled. I'll post more info as I gather it.
45 >>>>
46 >>>>
47 >>>>imapproxy was clearly affecting the TCP Queuing graph in munin but I
48 >>>>still ended up with a massive TCP Queuing spike today and
49 >>>>corresponding http response time issues long after I disabled
50 >>>>imapproxy. Graph attached. I'm puzzled.
51 >>>>
52 >>>>- Grant
53 >>>
54 >>> Things to check for:
55 >>> Torrent or other distributed downloads.
56 >>> Download program with multiple download threads
59 >>There sure shouldn't be anything like that running either on the
60 >>server or in the office. Is there a good way to find out? Maybe
61 >>something that would clearly indicate it?
64 >>> Maybe another proxy running? Esp. as you saw this also with
65 >>imapproxy.
68 >>nginx acts as a reverse proxy to apache2 but that's a pretty common
69 >>config. Nothing else that I know of.
70 >>
71 >>- Grant
72 >
73 > Any way to find out between which hosts/servers those connections are for?
74 > That might help in locating the cause.
75 >
76 > Eg. which of your desktops/laptops inside your network and where they are trying to connect to.
79 The spikes are taking place on my remote server but they seem to
80 roughly coincide with user activity within my own network. My
81 technical knowledge of networking internals is weak. Does anyone know
82 which tool will tell me more about the connections that are causing
83 the TCP Queuing spikes?
84
85 - Grant