From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: TCP Queuing problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 18:06:19
1 On September 20, 2016 4:53:41 PM GMT+02:00, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>>>>> My web server's response time for http requests skyrockets every
3 >>>>>> weekday between about 9am and 5pm. I've gone over my munin
4 >graphs
5 >>>and
6 >>>>>> the only one that really correlates well with the slowdown is
7 >"TCP
8 >>>>>> Queuing". It looks like I normally have about 400 packets per
9 >>>second
10 >>>>>> graphed as "direct copy from queue" in munin throughout the day,
11 >>>but 2
12 >>>>>> to 3.5 times that many are periodically graphed during work
13 >hours.
14 >>>I
15 >>>>>> don't see the same pattern at all from the graph of all traffic
16 >on
17 >>>my
18 >>>>>> network interface which actually peaks over the weekend. TCP
19 >>>Queuing
20 >>>>>> doesn't rise above 400 packets per second all weekend. This is
21 >>>>>> consistent week after week.
22 >>>>>>
23 >>>>>> My two employees come into work during the hours in question, and
24 >>>they
25 >>>>>> certainly make frequent requests of the web server while at work,
26 >>>but
27 >>>>>> if their volume of requests were the cause of the problem then
28 >that
29 >>>>>> would be reflected in the graph of web server requests but it is
30 >>>not.
31 >>>>>> I do run a small MTU on the systems at work due to the config of
32 >>>the
33 >>>>>> modem/router we have there.
34 >>>>>>
35 >>>>>> Is this a recognizable problem to anyone?
36 >>>>>
37 >>>>>
38 >>>>> I'm in the midst of this. Are there certain attacks I should
39 >check
40 >>>for?
41 >>>>
42 >>>>
43 >>>> It looks like the TCP Queuing spike itself was due to imapproxy
44 >which
45 >>>> I've now disabled. I'll post more info as I gather it.
46 >>>
47 >>>
48 >>>imapproxy was clearly affecting the TCP Queuing graph in munin but I
49 >>>still ended up with a massive TCP Queuing spike today and
50 >>>corresponding http response time issues long after I disabled
51 >>>imapproxy. Graph attached. I'm puzzled.
52 >>>
53 >>>- Grant
54 >>
55 >> Things to check for:
56 >> Torrent or other distributed downloads.
57 >> Download program with multiple download threads
60 >There sure shouldn't be anything like that running either on the
61 >server or in the office. Is there a good way to find out? Maybe
62 >something that would clearly indicate it?
65 >> Maybe another proxy running? Esp. as you saw this also with
66 >imapproxy.
69 >nginx acts as a reverse proxy to apache2 but that's a pretty common
70 >config. Nothing else that I know of.
71 >
72 >- Grant
73
74 Any way to find out between which hosts/servers those connections are for?
75 That might help in locating the cause.
76
77 Eg. which of your desktops/laptops inside your network and where they are trying to connect to.
80 Joost
81 --
82 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.