From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: TCP Queuing problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:53:51
1 >>>>> My web server's response time for http requests skyrockets every
2 >>>>> weekday between about 9am and 5pm. I've gone over my munin graphs
3 >>and
4 >>>>> the only one that really correlates well with the slowdown is "TCP
5 >>>>> Queuing". It looks like I normally have about 400 packets per
6 >>second
7 >>>>> graphed as "direct copy from queue" in munin throughout the day,
8 >>but 2
9 >>>>> to 3.5 times that many are periodically graphed during work hours.
10 >>I
11 >>>>> don't see the same pattern at all from the graph of all traffic on
12 >>my
13 >>>>> network interface which actually peaks over the weekend. TCP
14 >>Queuing
15 >>>>> doesn't rise above 400 packets per second all weekend. This is
16 >>>>> consistent week after week.
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> My two employees come into work during the hours in question, and
19 >>they
20 >>>>> certainly make frequent requests of the web server while at work,
21 >>but
22 >>>>> if their volume of requests were the cause of the problem then that
23 >>>>> would be reflected in the graph of web server requests but it is
24 >>not.
25 >>>>> I do run a small MTU on the systems at work due to the config of
26 >>the
27 >>>>> modem/router we have there.
28 >>>>>
29 >>>>> Is this a recognizable problem to anyone?
30 >>>>
31 >>>>
32 >>>> I'm in the midst of this. Are there certain attacks I should check
33 >>for?
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>> It looks like the TCP Queuing spike itself was due to imapproxy which
37 >>> I've now disabled. I'll post more info as I gather it.
40 >>imapproxy was clearly affecting the TCP Queuing graph in munin but I
41 >>still ended up with a massive TCP Queuing spike today and
42 >>corresponding http response time issues long after I disabled
43 >>imapproxy. Graph attached. I'm puzzled.
44 >>
45 >>- Grant
46 >
47 > Things to check for:
48 > Torrent or other distributed downloads.
49 > Download program with multiple download threads
52 There sure shouldn't be anything like that running either on the
53 server or in the office. Is there a good way to find out? Maybe
54 something that would clearly indicate it?
57 > Maybe another proxy running? Esp. as you saw this also with imapproxy.
60 nginx acts as a reverse proxy to apache2 but that's a pretty common
61 config. Nothing else that I know of.
62
63 - Grant