From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: TCP Queuing problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 13:50:31
1 On September 20, 2016 2:38:03 AM GMT+02:00, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>>> My web server's response time for http requests skyrockets every
3 >>>> weekday between about 9am and 5pm. I've gone over my munin graphs
4 >and
5 >>>> the only one that really correlates well with the slowdown is "TCP
6 >>>> Queuing". It looks like I normally have about 400 packets per
7 >second
8 >>>> graphed as "direct copy from queue" in munin throughout the day,
9 >but 2
10 >>>> to 3.5 times that many are periodically graphed during work hours.
11 >I
12 >>>> don't see the same pattern at all from the graph of all traffic on
13 >my
14 >>>> network interface which actually peaks over the weekend. TCP
15 >Queuing
16 >>>> doesn't rise above 400 packets per second all weekend. This is
17 >>>> consistent week after week.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> My two employees come into work during the hours in question, and
20 >they
21 >>>> certainly make frequent requests of the web server while at work,
22 >but
23 >>>> if their volume of requests were the cause of the problem then that
24 >>>> would be reflected in the graph of web server requests but it is
25 >not.
26 >>>> I do run a small MTU on the systems at work due to the config of
27 >the
28 >>>> modem/router we have there.
29 >>>>
30 >>>> Is this a recognizable problem to anyone?
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >>> I'm in the midst of this. Are there certain attacks I should check
34 >for?
37 >> It looks like the TCP Queuing spike itself was due to imapproxy which
38 >> I've now disabled. I'll post more info as I gather it.
41 >imapproxy was clearly affecting the TCP Queuing graph in munin but I
42 >still ended up with a massive TCP Queuing spike today and
43 >corresponding http response time issues long after I disabled
44 >imapproxy. Graph attached. I'm puzzled.
45 >
46 >- Grant
47
48 Things to check for:
49 Torrent or other distributed downloads.
50 Download program with multiple download threads
51
52 Maybe another proxy running? Esp. as you saw this also with imapproxy.
55 Joost
56 --
57 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.