From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel 5.15.11 won't boot
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:41:04
1 I recently upgraded several systems from gentoo-sources-5.10.76-r1 to
2 5.15.11, using my usual approach
3
4 copy current config to new sources
5 make oldconfig
6 all modules_install install
7 run dracut
8 reboot
9
10 All worked well except my desktop, which just sits there showing
11
12 EFI stub: Loaded initrd from command line option
13
14 So the bootloader has loaded the kernel but then there is absolutely
15 nothing. I tried removing the initrd option, but then it went straight to
16 a blank screen without the above message. I left it for a while, in case
17 it was just a case of no output, but nothing happened, not disk or
18 network activity, nothing.
19
20 I tried using make olddefconfig instead, but it made no difference. The
21 old kernel still boots normally. With nothing, literally, to go on, I am
22 stumped here.
23
24 This is my working /proc/cmdline, the only change is in in the version
25 numbers
26
27 initrd=\amd-uc.img initrd=\initramfs-5.10.76-gentoo-r1.img root=LABEL=loon rootfstype=btrfs rootflags=rw,noatime,ssd,space_cache rd.shell net.ifnames=0 nopti init=/lib/systemd/systemd
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.