From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel 5.15.11 won't boot
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 16:09:33
1 On Tuesday, 28 December 2021 13:40:44 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > I recently upgraded several systems from gentoo-sources-5.10.76-r1 to
3 > 5.15.11, using my usual approach
4 >
5 > copy current config to new sources
6 > make oldconfig
7 > all modules_install install
8 > run dracut
9 > reboot
10 >
11 > All worked well except my desktop, which just sits there showing
12 >
13 > EFI stub: Loaded initrd from command line option
14 >
15 > So the bootloader has loaded the kernel but then there is absolutely
16 > nothing. I tried removing the initrd option, but then it went straight to
17 > a blank screen without the above message. I left it for a while, in case
18 > it was just a case of no output, but nothing happened, not disk or
19 > network activity, nothing.
20
21 Did you touch the new frame-buffer settings? I did at first and got something
22 like your experience, but then after a distclean and oldconfig, making sure to
23 leave the new frame buffer at their defaults, everything now works.
24
25 I'll look into how it's supposed to work when I get back home.
28 Regards,
29 Peter.