From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel 5.15.11 won't boot
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:15:08
1 On Tuesday, 28 December 2021 16:09:09 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 28 December 2021 13:40:44 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > I recently upgraded several systems from gentoo-sources-5.10.76-r1 to
4 > > 5.15.11, using my usual approach
5 > >
6 > > copy current config to new sources
7 > > make oldconfig
8 > > all modules_install install
9 > > run dracut
10 > > reboot
11 > >
12 > > All worked well except my desktop, which just sits there showing
13 > >
14 > > EFI stub: Loaded initrd from command line option
15 > >
16 > > So the bootloader has loaded the kernel but then there is absolutely
17 > > nothing. I tried removing the initrd option, but then it went straight to
18 > > a blank screen without the above message. I left it for a while, in case
19 > > it was just a case of no output, but nothing happened, not disk or
20 > > network activity, nothing.
21 >
22 > Did you touch the new frame-buffer settings? I did at first and got
23 > something like your experience, but then after a distclean and oldconfig,
24 > making sure to leave the new frame buffer at their defaults, everything now
25 > works.
26 >
27 > I'll look into how it's supposed to work when I get back home.
28
29 I also ended up with a blank screen followed by a reboot, which showed some
30 partitions were not unmounted cleanly, followed by repeated reboots in the
31 same fashion, until I interfered to stop this madness. I then booted with the
32 previous kernel and as my first task I disabled some framebuffer setting, which
33 I now fail to recall! LOL!
34
35 I think it is this one:
36 =======================
37 CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM:
38
39 DRM driver for simple platform-provided framebuffers.
40
41 This driver assumes that the display hardware has been initialized
42 by the firmware or bootloader before the kernel boots. Scanout
43 buffer, size, and display format must be provided via device tree,
44 UEFI, VESA, etc.
45
46 On x86 BIOS or UEFI systems, you should also select SYSFB_SIMPLEFB
47 to use UEFI and VESA framebuffers.
48
49 Symbol: DRM_SIMPLEDRM [=n]
50 Type : tristate
51 Defined at drivers/gpu/drm/tiny/Kconfig:54
52 Prompt: Simple framebuffer driver
53 Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && DRM [=y]
54 Location:
55 -> Device Drivers
56 -> Graphics support
57 Selects: DRM_GEM_SHMEM_HELPER [=y] && DRM_KMS_HELPER [=y]
58
59 Simple framebuffer driver (DRM_SIMPLEDRM) [N/m/y/?] (NEW)