From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel 5.15.11 won't boot
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 19:23:48
1 On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:14:51 +0000, Michael wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday, 28 December 2021 16:09:09 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > On Tuesday, 28 December 2021 13:40:44 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > > I recently upgraded several systems from gentoo-sources-5.10.76-r1
6 > > > to 5.15.11, using my usual approach
7 > > >
8 > > > copy current config to new sources
9 > > > make oldconfig
10 > > > all modules_install install
11 > > > run dracut
12 > > > reboot
13 > > >
14 > > > All worked well except my desktop, which just sits there showing
15 > > >
16 > > > EFI stub: Loaded initrd from command line option
17 > > >
18 > > > So the bootloader has loaded the kernel but then there is absolutely
19 > > > nothing. I tried removing the initrd option, but then it went
20 > > > straight to a blank screen without the above message. I left it for
21 > > > a while, in case it was just a case of no output, but nothing
22 > > > happened, not disk or network activity, nothing.
23 > >
24 > > Did you touch the new frame-buffer settings? I did at first and got
25 > > something like your experience, but then after a distclean and
26 > > oldconfig, making sure to leave the new frame buffer at their
27 > > defaults, everything now works.
28 > >
29 > > I'll look into how it's supposed to work when I get back home.
30 >
31 > I also ended up with a blank screen followed by a reboot, which showed
32 > some partitions were not unmounted cleanly, followed by repeated
33 > reboots in the same fashion, until I interfered to stop this madness.
34 > I then booted with the previous kernel and as my first task I disabled
35 > some framebuffer setting, which I now fail to recall! LOL!
36 >
37 > I think it is this one:
38 > =======================
39 > CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM:
40
41 I don't have that one set. About the only framebuffer I have set is
42 CONFIG_FB_EFI and changing that makes no difference.
43
44 I'm not convinced it is display related as I do get the initial message
45 from the bootloader displayed as normal.
48 > DRM driver for simple platform-provided framebuffers.
49 >
50 > This driver assumes that the display hardware has been initialized
51 > by the firmware or bootloader before the kernel boots. Scanout
52 > buffer, size, and display format must be provided via device tree,
53 > UEFI, VESA, etc.
54 >
55 > On x86 BIOS or UEFI systems, you should also select SYSFB_SIMPLEFB
56 > to use UEFI and VESA framebuffers.
57 >
58 > Symbol: DRM_SIMPLEDRM [=n]
59 > Type : tristate
60 > Defined at drivers/gpu/drm/tiny/Kconfig:54
61 > Prompt: Simple framebuffer driver
62 > Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && DRM [=y]
63 > Location:
64 > -> Device Drivers
65 > -> Graphics support
66 > Selects: DRM_GEM_SHMEM_HELPER [=y] && DRM_KMS_HELPER [=y]
67 >
68 > Simple framebuffer driver (DRM_SIMPLEDRM) [N/m/y/?] (NEW)
73 Neil Bothwick
74
75 I wonder how much deeper would the ocean be without sponges.