From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:22:38
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2012-09-12, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 >> It takes some more time though to maintain it, compared to the other
5 >> distros.
6 > My experience is the opposite. Before Gentoo, I used mainly RPM-based
7 > distros (first RedHat, then later Mandrake).
8 >
9 > I find Gentoo requires much less maintenance effort than RH or
10 > Mandrake did. RH and Mandrake were fine right after install, but they
11 > gradually deteriorate over time. Eventually you get to the point where
12 > everytime you need to install or update something you end up in RPM
13 > dependancy hell: package A requires one version of a library but
14 > package B requires a different version. You then spend _days_ trying
15 > to find a compatible combination of applicaation and library RPMs.
16 > This continues to get worse and worse over time, until...
17 >
18 > ... there's a major version upgrade. Upgrading between major versions
19 > always failed miserably, so you end up having to do a reinstall from
20 > scratch every couple years.
21 >
22 > None of that is a problem with Gentoo. Occasionally, an upgrade
23 > requires some tweaking of keywords or use-flags, but it's nothing like
24 > the RPM dependancy hell and major-upgrade fiascos I had to put up with
25 > from other distros.
26
27 +1. Should be +10 or so but you get the idea. I left Mandriva because
28 of this issue and the init thingy that always gave me fits. Gentoo may
29 take a bit longer to install something but it works like it should when
30 it is done. Emerge is really good at sorting out the dependencies for
31 the past couple years or more too. Things that used to be a hair puller
32 are now done with magic. Zac has some good magic skills. I hope he
33 read that. lol
34
35 Dale
36
40 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!