From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:01:02
1 On 2012-09-12, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > It takes some more time though to maintain it, compared to the other
4 > distros.
5
6 My experience is the opposite. Before Gentoo, I used mainly RPM-based
7 distros (first RedHat, then later Mandrake).
8
9 I find Gentoo requires much less maintenance effort than RH or
10 Mandrake did. RH and Mandrake were fine right after install, but they
11 gradually deteriorate over time. Eventually you get to the point where
12 everytime you need to install or update something you end up in RPM
13 dependancy hell: package A requires one version of a library but
14 package B requires a different version. You then spend _days_ trying
15 to find a compatible combination of applicaation and library RPMs.
16 This continues to get worse and worse over time, until...
17
18 ... there's a major version upgrade. Upgrading between major versions
19 always failed miserably, so you end up having to do a reinstall from
20 scratch every couple years.
21
22 None of that is a problem with Gentoo. Occasionally, an upgrade
23 requires some tweaking of keywords or use-flags, but it's nothing like
24 the RPM dependancy hell and major-upgrade fiascos I had to put up with
25 from other distros.
26
27 I also used Debian on a few machines. They tended to be less hassle
28 than the RPM-based machines, but they were fairly minimalist server
29 machines (no X, no "desktop environments", no monster application
30 packages, just mail servers for a couple mailboxes).
31
32 > And the installation is much more complicated of course.
33
34 The installation itself is more complex, but when you're done the
35 system works. With CentOS and Fedora Core, there's always hours of
36 futzing around after the install trying to get things like networking
37 running. For most things, anything other than the one or two cases
38 allowed by the installer turns out to be a mess. Don't get me started
39 on RedHat's two completely separate network configuration subsystems
40 that don't get along with each other...
41
42 And try telling Ubunto to install the bootloader in something other
43 than the MBR. It gives you that option if you click enough buttons,
44 then it claims to have done it, but it just doesn't work...
47 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I threw up on my
48 at window!
49 gmail.com