From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 08:49:43
1 Alan McKinnon writes:
2
3 > On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:33:05 -0700
4 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Like Paul and many others I've never looked back. I'm no power user,
7 >> and contrary to a lot of the press out there I don't think you need to
8 >> be to use this distro.
9 >
10 > That's actually quite perceptive and correct.
11 >
12 > You don't need to be a genius wise-ass to use Gentoo. You just need to
13 > have some brain-smarts and a willingness to look after your own stuff
14 > yourself.
15
16 It takes some more time though to maintain it, compared to the other
17 distros. And the installation is much more complicated of course.
18
19 But unless you need very basic stuff only, it pays off later I think.
20 When you get into trouble, there are decent howtos that usually do not
21 simply explain _what_ to do, but _why_. When you installed your own
22 Gentoo, you already know a lot about Linux. And where to look in case of
23 problems. Other distros often hide what's going on deeper, and that's
24 nice when all works, but when not, you're screwed.
25
26 It's also much more fun to actually _solve_ problems on Gentoo, than
27 just googling how some other Ubuntu user 'solved' his problem by trying
28 various commands that you do not understand what they do, but that might
29 also work in your case. Or not.
30
31 Wonko