From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Libreoffice-bin 3.4 error on execute
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 22:05:00
1 On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 08:21:21AM -0300, Fernando Antunes wrote
2 > Yesterday I emerged Libreoffice-bin 3.4 and the installation worked fine.
3 >
4 > However, when I try to run it, I receive this error message :
5 >
6 > Failed to execute child process "libreoffice3.4" (No such file or
7 > directory).
8
9 Applications generally do *NOT* use the version number in the
10 executable name, or even the fact that they're a "bin" version. You
11 just supply the base filename on the commandline. E.g., I have
12 "libreoffice-bin-3.3.2" installed. It is launched with the command
13 "libreoffice". I have "gimp-2.6.11" installed. It is launched with the
14 command "gimp".
15
16 A few programs allow multiple versions. They have the real executable
17 in a working directory, and a symlink in /etc/usr/bin which points to
18 the real executable. So you launch the main version with the regular
19 command. You can also launch other installed versions by supplying the
20 full pathname to its working directory.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>