From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Libreoffice-bin 3.4 error on execute
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 00:29:24
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:03 on Tuesday 07 June 2011, Walter Dnes did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 08:21:21AM -0300, Fernando Antunes wrote
5 >
6 > > Yesterday I emerged Libreoffice-bin 3.4 and the installation worked fine.
7 > >
8 > > However, when I try to run it, I receive this error message :
9 > >
10 > > Failed to execute child process "libreoffice3.4" (No such file or
11 > > directory).
12 >
13 > Applications generally do *NOT* use the version number in the
14 > executable name, or even the fact that they're a "bin" version. You
15 > just supply the base filename on the commandline. E.g., I have
16 > "libreoffice-bin-3.3.2" installed. It is launched with the command
17 > "libreoffice". I have "gimp-2.6.11" installed. It is launched with the
18 > command "gimp".
19 >
20 > A few programs allow multiple versions. They have the real executable
21 > in a working directory, and a symlink in /etc/usr/bin which points to
22 > the real executable. So you launch the main version with the regular
23 > command. You can also launch other installed versions by supplying the
24 > full pathname to its working directory.
27 +1
28
29 Looks like this ebuild was rushed.
30
31 3.4.0 fails for any language other than "en" due to a typo in the ebuild:
32 #370179
33
34 AFAICS the desktop files are installed as-is from the rpms containing this:
35 Exec=libreoffice3.4 --writer %U
36 but there's a dosym call missing in the ebuild
37 #370345 references the issue but it hasn't been addressed yet
38
39 I have only two words:
40
41 shoddy work