From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something went wrong with DNS, plz help!
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:22:19
1 2014-07-26 19:09 GMT+03:00 Jc García <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>:
2 > 2014-07-26 9:23 GMT-06:00 Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>:
3 >> The first reboot after recent update of the system have
4 >> shown that I cannot open any webpage in Firefox.
5 >>
6 >> More exactly, Firefox or my system cannot any more resolve
7 >> URL to IP address (sorry if I use wrong terms).
8 >>
9 >> Thus,
10 >> host gmail.com
11 >> gives:
12 >> ;; connection timed out no servers could be reached
13 >>
14 >> Nevertheless
15 >> dig @8.8.8.8 gmail.com
16 >> reports the corresponding IP adresses.
17 >>
18 >> I have not changed any my network settings and my
19 >> /etc/conf.d/net file still contains list of my DNS servers
20 >> that contains server 8.8.8.8 as well but somehow it is
21 >> not enough any more. :(
22 >>
23 >> During my last system update, I suddenly found that
24 >> I had to update about 150 packages, what was a little
25 >> bit strange as I update my system at least once a week.
26 >>
27 >> I have attributed that to the remnants of gnome2 (now I am using
28 >> fxce4) that I have not cleaned completely and that is now going
29 >> to update. So, I deviated a bit from my usual system update routine
30 >> trying to fix that. Nevertheless, as to my view, during my system update
31 >> I did nothing to distroy the DNS lookup.
32 >>
33 >> Luckily, I save my system update logs and now can attach
34 >> the last one to this e-mail.
35 >>
36 >> Please, help me to recover my internet access,
37 >> as I still have to do a lot of real work till Monday
38 >> and have not enough time to investigate this problem
39 >> alone and without a proper internet access. :(
44 > You did verify your settings where correctly used to generate
45 > /etc/resolv.conf ?
46
47 I guess, no.
48
49 > if not, append some known dns to that file this way:
50 > nameserver 8.8.8.8
51 > nameserver 8.8.4.4
52
53 This does not help as /etc/resolv.conf is overwritten on every reboot.
54 Creating /etc/resolv.conf.tail also did not help.
55
56 > verify connection to your gateway and internet with ping.
57
58 It is ok. I am writing from the same subnet.