From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 07:00:32
1 The 05/09/12, Dale wrote:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > >> On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 07:52:45 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >>>>> I might also add, I see no speed improvements in putting portages
7 > >>>>> work directory on tmpfs. I have tested this a few times and the
8 > >>>>> difference in compile times is just not there.
9 > >>>> Probably because with 16GB everything stays cached anyway.
10 > >>> I cleared the cache between the compiles. This is the command I use:
11 > >>>
12 > >>> echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
13 > >> But you are still using the RAM as disk cache during the emerge, the data
14 > >> doesn't stay around long enough to need to get written to disk with so
15 > >> much RAM for cache.
16 > > Indeed. Try setting the mount to write-through to see the difference.
20 > When I run that command, it clears all the cache. It is the same as if
21 > I rebooted. Certainly you are not thinking that cache survives a reboot?
22
23 You missed the point. One of the first thing emerge will do is to
24 uncompress the package. At this time, all the files are cached in RAM.
25 Hence, everything needed for the build/compilation will come from the
26 cache like it would do with tmpfs.
29 Nicolas Sebrecht