From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 17:57:23
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 07:52:45 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>> I might also add, I see no speed improvements in putting portages
6 >>>>> work directory on tmpfs. I have tested this a few times and the
7 >>>>> difference in compile times is just not there.
8 >>>> Probably because with 16GB everything stays cached anyway.
9 >>> I cleared the cache between the compiles. This is the command I use:
10 >>>
11 >>> echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
12 >> But you are still using the RAM as disk cache during the emerge, the data
13 >> doesn't stay around long enough to need to get written to disk with so
14 >> much RAM for cache.
15 > Indeed. Try setting the mount to write-through to see the difference.
19 When I run that command, it clears all the cache. It is the same as if
20 I rebooted. Certainly you are not thinking that cache survives a reboot?
21
22 If you are talking about ram on the drive itself, well, when it is on
23 tmpfs, it is not on the drive to be cached. That's the whole point of
24 tmpfs is to get the slow drive out of the way. By the way, there are
25 others that ran tests with the same results. It just doesn't speed up
26 anything since drives are so much faster nowadays.
27
28 Dale
29
33 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!