From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why would portage not update a package?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:53
1 On Sunday 02 October 2005 08:25 pm, Mike Williams wrote:
2 > On Monday 03 October 2005 00:49, Dave Nebinger wrote:
3 > > > The likely explanation is that ant-core is not a dependency (direct or
4 > > > deep) of your "world" list.
5 > >
6 > > Ah, but if it is installed it must have been a dependency somewhere or in
7 > > place as a result of a direct emerge.
8 >
9 > At some point, yes. Doesn't mean it is so now.
10
11 Well I should have qualified it by saying that I don't clean out packages;
12 when I install something it is because I want to try it out and/or use it.
13 When I stop using the package, it still stays installed.
14
15 So the dependency should still exist and be valid.
16
17 > > Eix and emerge both knew it was installed and that it needed to be
18 > > updated at the point when I was going to emerge eclipse.
19 > >
20 > > So I don't think that answer covers it...
21 >
22 > Is the eix database upto date? Are you really sure ant-core is actually
23 > installed? You said "it wanting to emerge ant-core", that suggests to me
24 > that ant-core isn't installed, unless you meant "it wanting to
25 > upgrade/update ant-core".
26
27 Eix is updated every night after the emerge --sync completes. You'll have to
29 include that output) shows that ant-core is installed.
30
31 The emerge --pretend did report that mozilla and eclipse were new, but
32 ant-core was an update.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list