From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: video driver discovery
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:34:20
1 On Tuesday 23 December 2008 00:09:19 Robert Bridge wrote:
2 > > Sure, I'm a little frustrated with the fact that discovering
3 > > the actual video driver file is such a nightmare. It should
4 > > be a simple little command of a script one can alias to
5 > > a simple command string. I'm not  meaning to bash you,
6 > > it's just I cannot belive there is not a simple method
7 > > to find the actual video driver a given linux system is
8 > > using. Parsing log files is not what I had in mind.
9 >
10 > A simple method may well exist, I was only throwing out the only idea I
11 > could think of.
12 >
13 > > But, that is the best/only method?
14 >
15 > Probably not. It's the only method that springs to mind.
16
17 grepping a log file is the most natural way for an experienced unix admin to
18 do it. It's a useful skill, all newbies should be encouraged (but not
19 required) to learn it. Sometimes we experienced admin types lose sight of the
20 fact that regardless of all the nice new user-friendly aspects of Linux being
21 driven by distros like Ubuntu, under the covers we still have a hard-core
22 Unix system.
23
24 In cases where a quick command to display something doesn't exist, it's
25 usually because it never occurred to the developer that there could be
26 another way :-) I find in my own experience that I usually know what driver
27 is being used - I set the machines up after all - and if I do need to verify
28 the driver, I also want the error messages related to it. Which are sitting
29 in the log file :-)
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com