From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4/ext3 for /boot?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 09:50:18
1 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 09:26:50PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> ext2/3/4 are all backwards compatible. ext4 does have a certain feature
5 >> (I forget what) that once used breaks this compatibility but you are
6 >> highly, highly unlikely to ever do that on /boot.
7 >> The benefits of ext3/4 are irrelevant for /boot anyway - that
8 >> filesystem is write-seldom, read ever so slightly more often.
9 > Really? I put my PC into power saving mode before going to bed each
10 > evening. The PC needs to read /boot to return to normal operation.
11 >
12 >> --
13 >> Alan McKinnnon
14 >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
15
16 Really. It takes maybe 1/4 of a second for it to load the kernel from
17 /boot. After that, it may not read /boot again until you boot back up
18 the next day. So, 1/4 of a second per boot is very little. The only
19 other time /boot is used is when you update grub or your kernel. That
20 is maybe a 1 or 2 second write, if that much. Even if you
21 hibernate/sleep/reboot a few times a day, it is still read very little.
22 That is pretty much irrelevant.
23
24 Me, I have always put ext2 on /boot. I just don't see much need in
25 anything fancy for something that is used so seldom plus everything is
26 likely stored somewhere else anyway. The kernel should be in the kernel
27 source directory and a emerge of grub would restore everything else
28 except the config. Not much to lose there.
29
30 < shrugs >
31
32 Dale