From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4/ext3 for /boot?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 08:44:17
1 On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 09:26:50PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > ext2/3/4 are all backwards compatible. ext4 does have a certain feature
4 > (I forget what) that once used breaks this compatibility but you are
5 > highly, highly unlikely to ever do that on /boot.
6
7 > The benefits of ext3/4 are irrelevant for /boot anyway - that
8 > filesystem is write-seldom, read ever so slightly more often.
9
10 Really? I put my PC into power saving mode before going to bed each
11 evening. The PC needs to read /boot to return to normal operation.
12
13 > --
14 > Alan McKinnnon
15 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com