From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4/ext3 for /boot?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 15:54:20
1 On 8 November 2011, at 08:37, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > ...
3 >> The benefits of ext3/4 are irrelevant for /boot anyway - that
4 >> filesystem is write-seldom, read ever so slightly more often.
5 >
6 > Really? I put my PC into power saving mode before going to bed each
7 > evening. The PC needs to read /boot to return to normal operation.
8
9 But in this case you're only reading from it. The writes are still very seldom, so journalling &c is unneeded.
10
11 I've never used sleep / hibernate on Linux, but if it requires /boot then mount it read-only, as suggested by Neil Bothwick for other reasons.
12
13 Stroller.