From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4/ext3 for /boot?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 18:19:30
1 On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:37:24 +0000
2 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 09:26:50PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > ext2/3/4 are all backwards compatible. ext4 does have a certain
7 > > feature (I forget what) that once used breaks this compatibility
8 > > but you are highly, highly unlikely to ever do that on /boot.
9 >
10 > > The benefits of ext3/4 are irrelevant for /boot anyway - that
11 > > filesystem is write-seldom, read ever so slightly more often.
12 >
13 > Really? I put my PC into power saving mode before going to bed each
14 > evening. The PC needs to read /boot to return to normal operation.
15
16 So that part of the disk is read once a day. How many reads are made in
17 a day on the rest of the disk?
18
19 It still fully qualifies as "seldom". Let's put it in human terms - if
20 a single read to the disk were equivalent to one day on human terms,
21 you are looking at a read every 45 lifetimes.
24 Alan McKinnnon
25 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com