From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 21:53:39
1 On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 21:21:30 +0000, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > >> This pins your kernel version at 4.14.8-r1 and you can update when,
4 > >> in future, you decide it's time to update your kernel, without being
5 > >> nagged about it every time a new version is release or you emerge
6 > >> world.
7 > >
8 > > The equal sign doesn't pin versions, at least not that I remember.
9 > > Package are pinned by slot in the world file. Coincidence may be that
10 > > the version you selected happens to be exclusively the only slot,
11 > > too.
12 >
13 > It installs exactly that version, and that exact version is recorded in
14 > the world file.
15 >
16 > $ grep -e source /var/lib/portage/world
17 > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.9.34
18
19 That's not a version, it's a slot. Whilst kernels are currently slotted
20 with the version number, nothing else is and there is no guarantee that
21 this will also hold for kernels.
22
23 If you do want to use versions, I'd recommend using ~ rather than = to
24 pick up patch-level updates.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 I backed up my hard drive and ran into a bus.