From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 22:07:30
1 > On 3 Jan 2018, at 21:53, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> It installs exactly that version, and that exact version is recorded in
4 >> the world file.
5 >>
6 >> $ grep -e source /var/lib/portage/world
7 >> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.9.34
8 >
9 > That's not a version, it's a slot. Whilst kernels are currently slotted
10 > with the version number, nothing else is and there is no guarantee that
11 > this will also hold for kernels.
12
13 Fair enough, but there's nothing else I need to treat this way.
14
15 I guess this risks that emerge will try to install 4.9.34-r1 during a future update, but I don't believe I've ever experienced that.
16
17 > If you do want to use versions, I'd recommend using ~ rather than = to
18 > pick up patch-level updates.
19
20 What do you mean by this exactly, please?
21
22 Stroller.